September 19, 2011

Changes

I’ve never been one to welcome change. I get a sense of comfort and security from having sameness and stability in my life. When things are going great, why rock the boat? Unfortunately, God (and others) don’t always agree with me.

I’m experiencing some significant changes in my life right now. Some of them are hard for me but good for others. Although these changes have not been easy, I can accept them as necessary and right.

But there’s one major change that has been particularly painful. For months I fought hard against it. This change felt wrong and destructive, foolish and senseless and unnecessary. But, in the end I had no power to stop it.

In time, I may be able to see some good come of it. Although I can’t see it yet, I’m hopeful. So, as I wait, and as I search to find some firm footing again, I’m trying to cooperate with God and learn some important lessons.

Here are some things I’m trying to learn:

That no matter how hard I try to control my life, ultimately, it’s God who’s in control. When I try to control outcomes or other people, I just become frustrated.

That I have a choice: I can either choose to complain and whine and feel sorry for myself, or I can choose to have a good attitude and let my struggles change me for the better.

That the wisest thing I can do is surrender my dreams to God and then wait to see what better things He has for me.

Easier said than done! 

1 comment: